Donate Mutual Fund Shares
From the Archdiocese of Atlanta website:
Procedures For Donation of Mutual Fund Shares
- When a donor makes known their wish to gift shares from their mutual fund account held at a broker, the first step is to provide the following information to the Archdiocese of Atlanta so that SunTrust can set up an account.
- Name of the fund family (ie, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.)
- The exact name of the fund
- The fund number if applicable
- The cusip number of the fund if known
- Class of shares if applicable
- Number of shares to be gifted (not the dollar amount)
- Donor’s brokerage name
Below is a sample of a letter that could be used by the donor. The above information is available on the donor’s statement and a copy of the statement would be useful to include
with the letter (for confidentiality purposes, the portion of the statement with account balance
information should be deleted out). Including a copy of the donor’s statement is optional.
The Archdiocese of Atlanta will forward the letter to SunTrust.
- Upon receipt of the information in the above letter, SunTrust will open an account at the
mutual fund company for the benefit of the Archdiocese of Atlanta. Once we have obtained
the registration and account number of this new account, we will provide it to the
Archdiocese of Atlanta. The donor must then instruct their broker to transfer the shares to
the new account. Attachment II is a sample of this letter.
- We will notify the Archdiocese of Atlanta once the shares are received and ask for
instructions on disposition of the shares.
Sample Letter of Intent to Gift Shares of a Mutual Fund Held in a Brokerage Account
Archdiocese of Atlanta
Attn: Mary Ann Brown
2401 Lake Park Drive, SE
Smyrna, GA 30080-8862
Dear Ms. Brown:
This letter is to advise you of my intent to gift shares to the Archdiocese of Atlanta from my mutual fund as follows. The fund is held through my brokerage account at (Broker Name).
Name of the fund family:
The exact name of the fund:
The fund number if applicable:
The cusip number of the fund (if known):
Class of shares if applicable:
Number of shares to be gifted (not the dollar amount):
Please let me know when an account in the Archdiocese of Atlanta’s name has been setup and I will advise my broker to transfer the shares.
Optional Attachment: Copy of mutual fund statement with account balance information deleted out.