Brief History

SistersofSJESt. John the Evangelist Catholic School was built in 1954 with grades K-5 and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy from Merion, PA. Grades 6-8 were added in successive years, and Pre-K was added in 1993. SJE employed its first lay Principal in 1988, but the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy is ever present through our faith-filled and dedicated faculty and staff.

The entire community of St. John the Evangelist is respectfully proud of the many accomplishments of the school during its existence. Its Christ-centered environment is the focus of all activities; therefore, all of the awards, recognitions, and achievements are in His name.

SJE1954

St. John School in 1954

Since the 1950s, SJE has grown from a “one or two city” school, enrolling students almost exclusively from the SJE parish and Hapeville community to the school today, enrolling students from over twenty cities and parishes in the Atlanta Metro area, encompassing a diversity of nationalities, ethnicities and cultures. The cultural diversity of the school is a treasured feature, valued and expressed through cultural studies, dance, art, music, literature, international events, and worship. Seventeen different languages are spoken in the home, and twenty-six countries are represented. This cultural richness reflects the world around us and unites us as one family.

In 2001, SJE expanded the facility by adding a spacious media center, 33 station computer lab and math/science lab funded in part by The Goizueta Foundation. Most notably, SJE is a twice-named National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. SJE is also the recipient of a grant from the Speedwell Foundation, which provided iPads to all middle school students and their teachers. We secured FAA Noise Abatement
grant funds in 2011 to provide central heat and air conditioning throughout the school, install new, energy efficient windows and update the wiring infrastructure to accommodate the latest technology additions to the classrooms and school.

SistersofMercy

Sisters of Mercy


SJE has a longstanding history of academic excellence in a Christ centered environment. The school community embraces the mission of educating the whole child: body, mind and soul. The school motto, “Reverence, Respect and Responsibility,” represents core values demonstrated in all aspects of school life: worship, service, academic study, and extracurricular activities.